Monday, February 7, 2011

Welcome to the DC Daily

This tiny corner of the blogosphere is hereby dedicated to my public chronicle of the daily habits and happenings in my world. Don't expect much out of it--I certainly ain't.

Today's accomplishments:  I did the dishes, which is, I dare say, a true accomplishment. By doing so I've contributed to the health and well-being of those closest to me (namely Javelin and myself and Potato too!). Sure it's not much and people all over the world do things of equal or greater worth every day, but it's a small, useful thing which I can be justifiably proud of doing (though not very proud to be sure). It just gets me thinking about all those days working at my previous job and thinking, how much did those days and night and weekends of work really benefit me and mine? Did spending an hour fixing curly quotes (if you don't know what I mean, you really don't want to know) really do something for the world? For my world? The answer to that question is yes. It did something in that it in some way contributed to my not getting fired, which contributed to my getting paid, which contributes to my paying my mortgage and keeping me and mine clothed, sheltered and fed. So yes, even the most pointless of my hours working contributed. But why the great gulf in the feeling of accomplishment? When I do the dishes, I can see, right away, that the house is cleaner, that it's easier to cook, and it's more pleasant to live here. But when I do some meaningless task on behalf of someone else in exchange for a paycheck that increases a number in an electronic system at a bank--well, that's not nearly as visceral and not nearly as satisfying. Maybe at my next job I should ask to be paid in cash only, or cash all of my paychecks immediately and store the cash in transparent containers at home.

Anyway, today I did the dishes, and very little else. And it felt good, like I did something today. And that's more than I can say for some days that I've spent in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment